The True Gift Of Christmas
“God gave the gift of redemption to humankind, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;” (Ephesians 2:8 NASB)
Definition of Gift;
- a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
- something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation
- the act, right, or power of giving
General speaking, in Scripture the word “gift” has three senses:
Gifts Men Give To Men—Sacrificial Offerings Presented To God—Gifts God Gives To Men
- Gifts Men Give To Men; In Old Testament times a gift was customarily given for the price of a bride “Ask me ever so much bridal payment and gift, and I will give according as you say to me; but give me the girl in marriage.” (Gen. 34:12 ).…This is just one example of a gift that was traditionally given. Yet even this gift was expected, and more than likely was required as part of the agreement for marriage.
- Sacrificial Offerings Presented To God; “For every high priest taken from among men is appointed on behalf of men in things pertaining to God, in order to offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins;”(Heb 5:1)…Yes another gift, but as we read into this more carefully these gifts were offered along with scarifies for the purpose of forgiving sins. Again another requirement, this one under the law.
- Gifts God Gives To Men; Righteousness… Indescribable… The Spirit… Enlightened… Grace…Salvation…God’s righteousness is a gift “For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.”( Rom 5:17 )…God has provided for us an “indescribable” gift ( 2 Cor. 9:15 ) “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”
Paul talks about the gifts of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12) Take some time and check out the many gifts here.
…Those who have tasted the heavenly gift have been enlightened “For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,”( Heb 6:4 ) Paul is a servant of the gospel by the gift of God’s grace “of which I was made a minister, according to the gift of God’s grace which was given to me according to the working of His power.” (Ephs. 3:7 )
Clearly God’s gifts are freely given to those that accept His invitation. There are no strings attached. Fall in love with Jesus Who died for both you and me, our salvation is secure; “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;” (Ephesians 2:8) This is the true gift of life freely given by our Savior Jesus who died for us. The True Gift is, and always will be salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ something we could never earn or work for, we didn’t even seek it, He drew us to Him; “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.” (John 6:44) From the beginning of time Adam after the fall ran away from God, and so it is with us. Jesus chose us, and peruses us always. He chose us before the foundations of the earth; just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, (Ephesians 1:4-5)
“So let us celebrate the true Gift of Christmas, the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ!”
Seek the Adventure, Strength and Honor Papa Joe,